Donny spent about 310,000 yuan ($46,000), which he considers a big expenditure. You're Having Him Where? The expense doesn’t bother me most of the time, after all, my salary is higher here, and although I spend more due to the fact that certain things — like English language books — are more available, I do save more than I did in Kunming. Every family has to choose what is best for their situation and for their finances. Here's how much it costs to give birth around the world. So how much does air conditioning installation cost? A great deal of this information comes from the 2016 Coyne College study of birth costs around the world. Switzerland has similar birth prices to Singapore, with an average cost of $7,751 and a C-section average of about $9,965. with any complications adding minimal costs. ", Switzerland has similar birth prices to Singapore, with an average cost of. Please login to add a comment. It can be infuriating, which is why more and more people choose private hospitals; but private hospitals, with their nice service, short wait times, and royal treatment for patients do not have the medical reputations that public hospitals do. Aug 22, 2011 06:35 To break it down, giving birth in a shoddy clinic or second rate hospital will cost less than 1000 RMB, a respectable, but not famous public Chinese hospital will probably cost you less than between 2000-5000 RMB to have a baby in Beijing. Unfortunately, the bill can climb much higher with surprise $500 fees for other doctors. - Click to confirm or cancel the marker position. (It's important to note that these numbers have likely changed since the study was conducted. That kind of hospital is clearly out of my budget, but I chose a good private Chinese hospital, one that offered water births and was open to allowing my husband in the room. relevant to the original post and subsequent discussion. New Zealand writer and Nepalese expat, Elen Turner, recounted her costs and experience giving birth at a hospital in Bangkok for The BillFold. Comments will not be deleted because of the viewpoints The doctors tried to convince me that every hospital in Beijing was like this. He came back about 5 minutes later and says he doesn’t have enough money. This was a Chinese hospital, no foreign doctors, no English speaking Chinese doctors even — although they seemed to have treated some foreigners before, it was clearly aimed at a Chinese market. There is really no correct answer to this question. To break it down, giving birth in a shoddy clinic or second rate hospital will cost less than 1000 RMB, a respectable, but not famous public Chinese hospital will probably cost you less than between 2000-5000 RMB to have a baby in Beijing. Here's how much Nike's billionaire founder paid for the infamous swoosh logo in 1971 Published Wed, Sep 5 2018 10:45 AM EDT Updated Wed, Sep … ", The National Health Service completely covers pregnancy and childbirth, but low-cost private options are available. If you'd like to have your baby in the same hospital wing as the Duchess of Cambridge, you could do so for perhaps less than the cost of the average American delivery, according to Fortune. But then yesterday I showed up, on an empty stomach, because I’d been told I needed to do some sort of blood test requiring no food be in my body, where they’d screen for all sorts of diseases. ). Hi there! That’s why I didn’t choose such a hospital. With a bit of searching, you should be able to find just what you’re looking for. But when the parents of these newborns leave the hospital, the postpartum experience can be vastly affected by the medical bills that follow them home. For us, we will probably go with a respectable Chinese hospital that suits our needs and with doctors we can trust. will not be deleted because of the viewpoints they express, only if the mode of expression I think my husband half expected me to insist on going through with the test, so I could see his relief when I just told the doctors straight out no, no way could we afford to spend 1200 RMB on a blood test. Beijing United lists their price for the birth alone as 50,000 RMB, but they’re an international hospital with foreign doctors and most, if not all of their patients are using overseas insurance policies provided by their cushy expat packages. It seemed like a good compromise. The National Health Service completely covers pregnancy and childbirth, but low-cost private options are available. You're Having Him Where? That can’t be right, I thought – we’ve just hit the bank, we have at least 1000 RMB on us. Some offer more options and more modern treatment for expectant mothers, like water births, midwives, epidurals, and the option for the husband to be present at the delivery. to encourage healthy and productive dialogue we ask that all comments remain polite, free of I would have expected something like this from an international hospital catering to expats or overseas returnees. To put things into perspective, you might recall from my previous article that in Kunming it cost 1300 RMB to give birth to my son, and that included a private room and this “kit” the hospital makes all parents buy that includes a baby blanket and pillow and some other stuff. Policy, Login Having a Baby in Nanjing here to login immediately. All comments are subject to moderation by eChinacities.com staff. A great deal of this information comes from the 2016 Coyne College study of birth costs around the world. we can customize your site experience. articles and job alerts in China. Subscribe to our daily newsletter to get more of it. - Draw the marker to another location, and then click to confirm the new marker Macau to Grant Entry to Certain Foreigners from Mainland China, 6 Ways to Maximize Your Holidays as an Expat Worker in China, For . Looking for smart ways to get more from life? Anyhow, I guess no fancy hospital with water births for me, it’ll have to be a full-on Chinese hospital again for #2, because, while my salary in Beijing allows us to live comfortably, I just can’t imagine paying 10, or possibly even 20 times what I paid in Kunming for essentially the same service. since. your comment, 3 Types of Jobs for Foreigners in China That Might Make You Rich, 10 Knowledges of Chinese Tax Invoices (Fapiao) Foreigners Need to Know, China Suspends Entry for UK Visas Holders, More Countries to Follow, New COVID Testing Rules for Passengers Traveling to China, 7 Books that Will Change the Way You Think About China. Report Abuse. I obligingly sent my husband off to pay while I had my blood pressure taken. For more great stories, head to INSIDER's homepage. All comments are subject to moderation by eChinacities.com staff. I Want To Raise My Family in China – Am I Crazy? Just across the Northern border, the average price for a natural birth is only $3,195. A famous “san jia” (a ratings system for Chinese hospitals categorizes them as 1 jia, 2 jia and 3 jia – 3 jia being the best) public hospital will cost you between 5000-10,000 RMB to have a baby; a private hospital, like the one I had originally planned on going to will cost between 10,000-20,000 RMB; and an international hospital, upwards of 50,000RMB. they express, only if the mode of expression itself is inappropriate. The average delivery price in Argentina is, , it costs about "$2,300 on average for a vaginal delivery or planned C-section … or $3,400 for a more complicated procedure. In Chile, the average cost is $3,589, but that includes the average for standard births and cesarean births. The average cost is around $1,950, with any complications adding minimal costs. We are able to write text from ‘Happy Birthday’ followed by the guest of honours name to ‘Congratulations’ as well as your full company name, logo or shape to suit your event. A complicated C-section birth, however, can reach $7,300. Professor Gerard Anderson of the Johns Hopkins Centre for Hospital Finance and Management told BBC, "you … pay a fee for services a la carte in the US so if you are worried about the pain of the childbirth and have an epidural, you'll have to pay for it … And all those costs rack up.". I’d been twice already before yesterday’s appointment, and each time had set me back a couple hundred RMB. eChinacities.com without written permission from eChinacities.com constitutes copyright Related Links To receive career advice, That’s just the difference between Beijing and Kunming, they said. Comments Any public Chinese hospital, even the wonderful famous hospitals like Beida Hospital and Peking Union, will involve long lines, waiting for ages, running around like mad only to be told, for instance, that sorry, you need to get your blood drawn before 10:50 on Tuesdays and because it is 9:00 on a Wednesday you’re out of luck. Like what you see here? The average delivery price in Argentina is $2,237, but only $2,972 for a C-section procedure. Sign up a free account and receive the free career advice from other expats. A typical childbirth in Japan will run you about $61,810. Some are quite good, some are not so good. The average price ranges between $12,000 and $15,000. Subscriber The cost of having a baby depends on where you live, how you give birth, and whether you have health insurance. We've just launched a brand new Answers section which allows users to ask or answer other people's questions. profanity or name calling, and relevant to the original post and subsequent discussion. Employers. Giving Birth in Kunming. Pregnant visitors do pay a larger price but take advantage of the comparatively low rates and on-soil citizenship. Although we’ve listed the average costs of having a baby in the U.S., it’s important to note that these costs vary for each state. Lancework: Your Name or Logo in Fireworks. Canada's low rates and high-quality facilities make it a destination for birth tourists, according to Maclean's. How much does it cost to give birth to an American baby? However, the prices of some things occasionally manage to surprise me — like when we spent 500 RMB taking my mom and dad out for Mexican food, or how getting my son immunizations routinely costs about 200 RMB (and immunizations are FREE for Chinese kids!). The test costs more than 1000 RMB? According to CNBC, in the United Kingdom, it costs about "$2,300 on average for a vaginal delivery or planned C-section … or $3,400 for a more complicated procedure.". Indeed it does, 1200 RMB to be exact, for a blood test. Giving Birth in Kunming, Privacy Because we wish (It's important to note that these numbers have likely changed since the study was conducted. I Want To Raise My Family in China – Am I Crazy? Probably the very best option for any expat in China is to look into independent insurance policies, which for less than $2000 (USD) a year can give you full coverage, including maternity, and access to the holy grails of hospitals – the internationals. Unfortunately, the bill can climb much higher with surprise $500 fees for other doctors. The Phoenix is a beautiful and lucky magic bird. So what is an expectant mother to do? , you should be able to find just what you ’ re for... And for their finances I didn ’ t have enough money for a blood test according Maclean! A hospital, head to INSIDER 's homepage to her doctor 's last-minute suggestion! 'Ve just launched a brand new Answers section which allows users to ask or answer people... Since the study was conducted in Japan will run you around $ 1500, with any complications adding minimal.! Options are available snatched straight from my hands when I went to the emergency room typical birth at private. Singapore, with an average cost of cost of birth prices to Singapore, with 's... Childbirth, but low-cost private options are available we can trust us a little yourself... From the 2016 Coyne College study of birth costs, with any complications adding minimal.. Insurance, a typical birth at a particular time during your event to mark a moment! Searching, you should be able to find just what you ’ re looking for smart ways to get of! My Family in China – Am I Crazy able to find just what you ’ looking... The emergency room in Chile, the bill can climb much higher with surprise $ fees! Express, only if the mode of expression itself is inappropriate marker another... Run you about $ 61,810 insurance, a typical birth at a particular time during your to., on the type of unit and complexity of your install location and... Air conditioning installation to cost anywhere from $ 600 - $ 5400 depending on the type of and! Recounted her hospital experience to Matador Network it costs to give birth around the world good, are... And cesarean births account and receive the free career advice, articles job! Complexity of your install by eChinacities.com staff on the type of unit and complexity of your.! Family has to choose what is best for their situation and for their situation and for their.! # 2, on the recommendation of some other online moms s appointment, and each time had me. Get more from life cost of expression itself is inappropriate the type of unit and complexity of install! And Kunming, where my routine checkups would run about 20 RMB apiece but. I wish anyone going through this frustrating and rather intimidating process anywhere China... Excellent healthcare benefits, that even protect non-citizens would have expected something like this installation to anywhere... Expensive, compared to Kunming, they said brand how much does it cost to give birth in chinajin air logo Answers section which users..., is known for its excellent healthcare benefits, that even protect non-citizens complicated C-section,! Other doctors 2,237, but only $ 3,195 ’ t choose such a hospital, where my routine checkups run. 5,312 for a natural birth is only $ 3,195 me right for choosing a private hospital for baby 2... Such a hospital experience to Matador Network particular time during your event to mark a moment!, compared to Kunming, where my routine checkups would run about RMB! Run about 20 RMB apiece, but low-cost private options are available birth. Without medical insurance, a typical childbirth in Japan will run you about $ 61,810 Maclean.... Maclean 's about 310,000 yuan ( $ 46,000 ), which he considers a expenditure... Have higher birth costs around the world twice already before yesterday ’ s why I didn ’ have... Service completely covers pregnancy and childbirth, but low-cost private options are available reach 7,300... Like this or overseas returnees 2,972 for a trip to the emergency room sure to check the is. Typical birth at a particular time during your event to mark a special moment or to surprise a.. Has similar birth prices to Singapore, with went to the OBGYN yesterday in is! Of unit and complexity of your install run you around $ 1,950, with intimidating anywhere... Cesarean births receive the free career advice from other expats and rather intimidating anywhere... Account and receive the free career advice, articles and job alerts in China Am! Every hospital in Beijing was like this what you ’ re looking for Raise my Family in China best! Would run about 20 RMB apiece, but only $ 2,972 for a trip the... Time during your event to mark a special moment or to surprise guest... The study was conducted receive career advice from other expats receive career advice from other expats Service covers! 'S how much it costs to give birth around the world a particular time your... That suits our needs and with doctors we can trust he doesn t... Around $ 1,950, with our needs and with doctors we can customize your site experience the study conducted. During your event to mark a special moment or to surprise a guest, however, can $! Take advantage of the viewpoints they express, only if the mode of itself! Trip to the emergency room for us, we will probably go with a bit of,. Martina Žoldoš recounted her hospital experience to Matador Network birth is only $ 2,972 for standard. Viewpoints they express, only if the mode of expression itself is.. Last-Minute cesarean suggestion already before yesterday ’ s appointment, and then Click to confirm or the! By eChinacities.com staff is only $ 3,195 to find just what you ’ re for... How much it costs to give birth around the world Northern border, the bill can climb much higher surprise. $ 1500, with how much does it cost to give birth in chinajin air logo average cost of $ 7,751 and a C-section procedure RMB. Only if the mode of expression itself is inappropriate complicated C-section birth, however the. Will not be deleted because of the viewpoints they express, only if the of. Lucky magic bird expected something like this from an international hospital catering to expats or overseas returnees every. Installation to cost anywhere from $ 600 - $ 5400 depending on the type of unit and complexity your! $ 5,312 for a standard delivery respectable Chinese hospital that suits our needs with. From the 2016 Coyne College study of birth costs around the world during your event to mark a special or. Subject to moderation by eChinacities.com staff newsletter to get more from life births!, the cake was not just taken, but low-cost private options available! I would have expected something like this is known for its excellent healthcare benefits, that even protect.. C-Section birth, however, the National Health Service completely covers pregnancy and childbirth, not. But only $ 3,195 advice, articles and job alerts in China – Am I Crazy is... But take advantage of the comparatively low rates and high-quality facilities make it a destination for tourists! Recounted her hospital experience to Matador Network big expenditure ways to get from. Than doubled due to her doctor 's last-minute cesarean suggestion, is known for its excellent benefits... More than doubled due to her doctor 's last-minute cesarean suggestion anywhere from 600! Probably go with a respectable Chinese hospital that suits our needs and with we. Beautiful and lucky magic bird average is around $ 5,312 how much does it cost to give birth in chinajin air logo a standard delivery to Matador Network expenditure. Border, the bill can climb much higher with surprise $ 500 fees for doctors. Anywhere in China – Am I Crazy $ 3,589, but only $ 2,972 for a average! For a blood test blood pressure taken, the bill can climb much with! About yourself so we can trust making birth the most common reason for a blood test to choose what best. It serves me right for choosing a private hospital will run you around 5,312. Family has to choose what is best for their situation and for their situation and for their and! I obligingly sent my husband off to pay while I had my blood pressure.. Was more than doubled due to her doctor 's last-minute cesarean suggestion particular, is known for its healthcare., a typical childbirth in Japan will run you around $ 5,312 for a average... Switzerland has similar birth prices to Singapore, with Singapore 's between $ 12,000 and $.. Rmb apiece, but snatched straight from my hands when I went to OBGYN. And each time had set me back a couple hundred RMB off to pay while I had my blood taken., with any complications adding minimal costs smart ways to get more from life, that even protect non-citizens cancel. Comments will not be deleted because of the comparatively low rates and high-quality facilities make a. Something like this 's between $ 12,000 and $ 10,000 last-minute cesarean suggestion associated! Coyne College study of birth costs, with an average cost is $ 2,237, but straight! Adding minimal costs take advantage of the comparatively low rates and high-quality facilities make it a destination for birth,! Echinacities.Com staff to check the average cost is around $ 5,312 for a C-section procedure Žoldoš! Moment or to surprise a guest covers pregnancy and childbirth, but that includes the average is around $ for! The marker to another location, and then Click to confirm or cancel the marker.! Not unheard of the study was conducted average is around $ 1,950 with... Hospital will run you around $ 1,950, with Singapore 's between $ 12,000 and $.! Doubled due to her doctor 's last-minute cesarean suggestion launched a brand new Answers section which allows users to or...