By Jiselle Basile. It isn’t worth the risk of cutting my fingertips. Before beginning rinse basil leaves and pat them dry with a paper towel. Are you should you wante to disconnect your account? The oils that make basil leaves so deliciously aromatic are also very delicate. A chiffonade of basil is also an easy way to add a bright touch of green — and the fresh taste of basil — to your spring and summer dishes. Authentic Taste. [1] This is accomplished by stacking leaves, rolling them tightly, then slicing the leaves perpendicular to the roll. If this is technique is unfamiliar to you, this guide will take you through each step. Use this skill to properly prepare basil, a key ingredient in The Tuscan Way of cooking. Would you like to disconnect your Facebook account from our website? Pick as many leaves as you need for your recipe. Emma is a former editor for The Kitchn and a graduate of the Cambridge School for Culinary Arts. All Rights Reserved. Our 31-day calendar of meals and tips shows you how to cook more and love it with fun, family-friendly meals that come together quickly and deliciously. So for beautiful, bright green ribbons of basil on your plate, definitely make sure your knife is sharp. While I might not know how to use the word chiffonade, I do know that it translates from French to mean “made of rags.” A chiffonade is a pile of long, delicate ribbons of herbs—basically, a julienne of fresh herbs or other greens. Which brings me to MY question: can “chiffonade” be used as a verb? Can one “chiffonade” basil? Plastic cutting mats have their place, as they don’t absorb odors. Stack them so the top of the leaf is down and the underside is facing up, so the leaves cup each other. Continue to move your fingers backward on the roll, while making even cuts. What People Want from a Healer in the Midst of a Pandemic, A Middle School Math Teacher Planning Lessons and Lunch, The Columbus, OH-based Forager Who's Become a TikTok Star, A Food Justice Advocate and Mother Talks Breastfeeding and Herb Gardens, Bryant Terry's Sautéed Cabbage and Roasted Potatoes, Vivian Howard's Baked Pimento Cheese and Sausage. September 27, 2007 - 3:44 pm chiffonade. "Chiffonade" is the french culinary term for cutting basil, mint, spinach and other large leaf produce into thin strips. These are my little sister, Betsy’s, hands. But when I am going to prepare something like basil chiffonade, I break out my special paring knife. Or use chiffonade to garnish and finish dishes with an extra boost of flavor. After that, please let me know whether or not “chiffonade” is a verb so I can get on with my life. Basil is delicious raw and the residual heat from the dish is will wake up that wonderful basil aroma. If your knife is dull, you tend to bruise the basil leaves and crush the edges rather than slice them cleanly. When you near the end, it becomes more difficult to hold the leaves in place. Dismiss. The word sounds as light and airy as the spirals of basil themselves. If you're using a chef knife, it's easiest to leave the tip of the knife against the cutting board and slice the basil with a rocking motion, moving incrementally down the roll. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Sign up for our email list to receive future Bertolli® coupons, recipes and more. I frequently chiffonade basil and sometimes spinach. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Here’s all you need to know about making a chiffonade of basil: stack, roll, slice. It’s kept in its’ sheath tucked away in a drawer. Basil Chiffonade brings delicate seasoning to Linguine alla Caprese. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Pick basil leaves: Pinch the stem of an individual leaf close to wear it joins to the main stem of the basil plant, which is healthier for the plant.