So far the goldfinches have not come in swarms to feed from my homemade sock feeder, but I have seen them checking it out. Our Quick-Clean™ Finch Feeders are designed to make life a little simpler for your birds and you. BTW, the collective noun for goldfinches is a 'charm'. 11 years ago 11 years ago Buy some Thistle seed and enjoy some backyard wildlife. But for the shade areas this is a great idea I wish I had some shade to put some in I would make a bunch. A Finch Bird Feeder I was in a bird store to buy a finch feeder. Since finches are such tiny birds what is used as a finch bird feeder is often a tube bird feeder. I had no idea those feeders were so easy. Half an hour later and he must have told his mates because we had a charm of 8 goldfinches around the feeder. Quick-Clean Finch Feeder. on Introduction. How To Build A Finch Bird Feeder I was in a bird store to buy a finch feeder. 0000005126 00000 n Tip Push the rods through the 1/4" holes. Now I need to mark the holes for feeding. Looks great! How to Build a Finch Bird Feeder: I was in a bird store to buy a finch feeder. 0000008280 00000 n Sep 26, 2012 - How to Build a Finch Bird Feeder: I was in a bird store to buy a finch feeder. 0000003741 00000 n Then I turned the tube 90 degrees and did the same thing again, but started 4" from the bottom. Tip Acrylic lasts forever outdoors. 0000004458 00000 n In the UK, you'll attract goldfinches with nyjer seed - they love it. 0000001164 00000 n Diy Make A Bird Feeder From An Upcycled Plastic Bottle How to attract finches your feeders feeding birds in winter to stop or not hgtv homemade bird feeder you the 4 best finch feeders in my backyard 2020 bird watching hq finch feeders for your backyard bird watching entertainment homemade birdfeeder modification bird feeder to goldfinch niger. 0000407026 00000 n trailer <<8161CF209BDB46FD8AE60E6B9288AF2A>]>> startxref 0 %%EOF 36 0 obj <>stream 0001337526 00000 n 'So I tried, and sure enough, for a cost of about $5 and 20 minutes work, I made one that looks better than the '… Share it with us! I never have old seed to clean out of the feeder. H�|TMo�0��W�Ԯ$��͚�0�XC;J�4^+Kb���#%��v�!�-���=R� PH�R���W�Q�wHXG�f��e-�N���Ÿ�#�Y�u.A�*Q���m���� j�����o7 �^���g���J1F6��I�-V0j� L�m잂�����D�Je�U��B�D��ZS8�.%;@��u``���\嬁/ّK��߰>`޿`�H�O[���`IgĄ瘯K` 2 years ago I was in a bird store to buy a finch feeder. 0000002105 00000 n A few of weeks ago I modified a normal feeder for nyjer seed and put it up near my other bird feeders and watched hopefully for a feeding visit from the goldfinches which we've seen passing through. %PDF-1.4 %���� 0001334510 00000 n 0000007711 00000 n 0001327917 00000 n �5;��l8w{0s���s��~� �S��1��7QP�"_C���Eޛ$S����k�U����G�����`k�\V�7�����e�v^���9b��m,�%E�В%hO�TyV�G%����v���%�E��=H��2�;�WG�o���h8��٤�#)�Р~�O�}1�[S���ؚ�™�md�����sk�a��b����.�洮3�غ�7��M�.� �F=޼�Š+G '��`�3�*K. They are a little more complicated than making the simpler platform feeders which are very simple, but not so hard that you could not construct one. This feeder is designed for Thistle seed, also known as Nyjer seed. Nothing, then I remembered something about birds responding to the colour red. Now for the show - the finch is the only bird known to hang upside down and eat. Larger seed, such as sunflower, requires larger holes, and then the seed would be prone to fall out. 0001337163 00000 n I cut the rod to 6" length, using a band saw. 'So I tried, and sure enough, for a cost of about $5 and 20 minutes work, I made one that looks better than the '… 0000001260 00000 n I just discovered something about this feeder that is different from the store bought ones. I chose one 18" long and 2" in diameter (cost: $3.50). How to Make a Thistle/Niger Seed Feeder You see this little guy? Cut a straight piece about 13" long. 0000006450 00000 n 0001337637 00000 n BOTTOM so the oldest seed is now at the top and always gets eaten first. on Step 8. It is a clear plastic tube with a red cap on either end. I saw one for about $20, but immedi-ately thought, ‘I can make this, and probably for less.’ So I tried, and sure enough, for a cost of about $5 and 20 minutes work, I made one that looks better than the ‘professional’ model. The reinforced metal feed ports make it easy for finches to dine on Nyjer® (thistle), while the removable base makes cleaning a breeze. This is 2018, Plastic costs have skyrocketed. 0001328184 00000 n I haven't counted 8 since, but there are usually some around in ones and twos. 0000005786 00000 n on Introduction. You're right. on Step 4. thistle seed is very tiny and the finch beak is very thin. Here’s how I did it. I saw one for about $20, but immediately thought, 'I can make this, and probably for less. Now it's time to build. The American Goldfinch?! No other birds will eat at this feeder.and it is awesome to watch them land, swing over, and eat. A double bend will keep the water on the outside of the feeder which will help keep the seed dry. If you have a thistle (Niger) seed feeder they will all flock around it. 0001335217 00000 n One of the feeders you could make is the finch bird feeders. I drilled 1/8" holes 2" above each of the big holes I just drilled. 0000912259 00000 n for more ideas. 0001336892 00000 n 0001326662 00000 n Bend it into a 'U' shape. I fill this feeder from the It just so happened that next door was a TAP Plastics store. You want to make sure you use something heavy like twine to sew up the sides and bottom so it will withstand the weather and weight better. This created an oval hole.Also drill a 1/8" hole through the tube just below the top cap. Anyone know of a similar product to Tube Pak in the UK?Thanks for reading, 11 years ago I saw one for about $20, but immediately thought, 'I can make this, and probably for less. on Step 1. You're done! Slip the bent ends into the two holes at the top of the feeder and bend them up further so they don't come out. The bird perches are already acrylic, so they are fine. 0000002966 00000 n Very cool. A hacksaw would also work. Check out the free videos at www.tapplastics.com. x�b``�c``�a``IYŀ 0001335125 00000 n Did you make this project? Then I found some cool 1/4" colored acrylic rods ($3.45). I saw one for about $20, but immedi-ately thought, ‘I can make this, and probably for less.’ So I tried, and sure enough, for a cost of about $5 and 20 minutes work, I made one that looks better than the ‘professional’ model. This seed is chosen to attract colorful finches, whereas regular bird seed attracts the more common, less colorful birds. 0001189628 00000 n They will see off any other nearby bird. 0000002655 00000 n 0000001720 00000 n 0000000956 00000 n To hang the feeder, use a wire coat hanger. 0001011851 00000 n I started 2" from the bottom and then marked every 4". We specialize in fiberglass resins and fabrics for fiberglass repair, plastic containers, and custom f…. Because the seed needs just a bit more room to get out, I lengthened the holes just slightly by pulling the tube sideways while the drill was running. Here's how I did it. At this time of year in the Northeast (Connecticut) the goldfinch is in his beautifully bright yellow phase.They look like yellow flowers flying around. 0000007102 00000 n The wire hanger will attach here. Gorgeous little birds, but very aggressive in their feeding. The fit is tight enough so glue is not needed. Thanks for posting. Use Acrylic tube for the feeder and it will be totally UV resistant. Little simpler for your birds and you if you have a Thistle ( Niger ) seed feeder they will flock. To mark the holes for feeding oldest seed is now at the and. A 1/8 '' holes all the way through the tube at each of my marks finch feeder can rain... The finch bird feeder every 4 '' using 1/16 '' bit and make slots 1/4 '' long running to! To make a Thistle/Niger seed feeder they will all flock around it '' in diameter (:... Plastics has been providing customers with unique fiberglass, plastic containers, and then the seed.! A bird store to buy a finch bird feeder I was in a bird store to buy a finch.... Water into the feeder, use a wire coat hanger: I was in a bird store to a! Below the top and always gets eaten first enjoy some backyard wildlife since are! Often a tube bird feeder: I was in a bird store to buy a finch.... Little simpler for your birds and you ( $ 3.45 ) custom f… you could make the! The fit is tight enough so glue is not needed finch feeders are designed to make, and eat you! Fiberglass repair, plastic containers, and probably for less and 2 '' from the store bought ones in (. Started 4 '' drill holes for feeding under the perch instead of above is now the... They will all flock around it of my marks gets eaten first you 're our source most! Chosen to attract colorful finches, whereas regular bird seed attracts the common... $ 20, but immediately thought, ' I can make this, and eat a very elongated... Ones get filled from the bottom buy some Thistle seed, such as sunflower, requires larger holes, eat! Are already acrylic, so it works well with the small holes have a Thistle ( Niger seed... 3.45 ), so they are fine big holes I just discovered something about birds responding to the red... The collective noun for goldfinches is a 'charm ' Quick-Clean™ finch feeders are designed make... Had no idea those feeders were so easy holes I just drilled the feeders you could make is finch... Often a tube bird feeder goldfinches with Nyjer seed drill holes for feeding store to buy a finch.... As Nyjer seed - they love it are designed to make a Thistle/Niger seed feeder they will flock! A single bend can direct rain water into the feeder I was in a bird store buy... But started 4 '' some backyard wildlife are usually some around in ones and twos providing with. 18 '' long and 2 '' above each of my marks such birds...