Rachel:  無事でよかった! I’m so glad you’re okay! *Note: Ii/yoi is one of the very few irregular adjectives, and since it is so commonly used, we will look at each of its conjugations. I-adjectives end in -i and are conjugated similarly to verbs. To make the i-adjective negative past tense form, drop “い” and add “くなかった” to the adjective stem. Next, let’s look at the conjugations for na-adjectives. Let’s look at some sample sentences for the past tense form. Correct. Use this guide as a reference as you continue to expand your adjective vocabulary, and you will never be confused about how to use them. They are conjugated using the copula -desu. Let’s take a look at the negative form, past tense form, and negative past tense form. they also function as verbs when used as predicates. Let’s look at some sample sentences for the past tense form: To make the na-adjective negative past tense form, change “だ” to “じゃなかった” and change “です to ではなかった.”. They play a vital role in increasing your language fluency. However, instead of modifying another noun with a の (see the right for an example of a noun modifying another) - na adjectives … Here you only have to remember that when the adjective conjugates into the past, negative, or past negative the first syllable becomes よ. Although they might be used on their own in a very casual or slang context, this is not grammatically correct. Learn how to conjugate Japanese verbs and adjectives! and conjugate just like verbs. This is a companion page to the Practice over 25 different verb and adjective conjugations. How well do you know i-adjectives and na-adjectives? Verbs *Must choose at least 1 option from this category. both i-adjectives and na-adjectives take the basic form, and precede nouns just and na-adjectives. Includes present tense, past tense, te form, and adverbs. yuumeina gaka). the final ~na is deleted and replaced by ~ da (or They are conjugated similarly to Japanese verbs and are also known as adjectival verbs. じゃなかった ja nakatta → じゃありませんでした ja arimasen deshita>, でわなかった dewa nakatta → ではありませんでした dewa arimasen deshita>. You may have studied this when learning to construct basic sentences, and if so, you will find it works the same way here. The -desu is not used in the casual form. This test will review their different forms. Adjectives are words that are used to describe things. あのケーキは特別じゃなかった。 (Ano keeki wa tokubetsu ja nakatta)  –  That cake wasn’t special. Na-adjectives are conjugated by conjugating the だ/です copula that follows the adjective. also: https://www.facebook.com/cacuclinic. In fact, よい is the archaic word for good. Dominoes - adjectives Copy on to card and cut along bold lines. Conjugating Japanese Adjectives: It’s Easier Than You Think! Or if you want a fun way to learn natural Japanese, check out our review on Japanesepod101 to see why we think it’s the best resource for learning Japanese. You don’t need to change or add anything else. Japanese Grammar Worksheets - ADJECTIVES. おじいさんの家は古かった。 (Ojiisan no ie wa furukatta)  –  My grandfather’s house was old. 彼女の車は新しかったです。(Kanojo no kuruma wa atarashikatta desu)  –  Her car was new. This is a compilation of information from many places. They are derived from classical Japanese forms but have the same root, and if you keep this in mind, it will help you remember that na-adjectives need to be followed by one or the other, depending on where they come in the sentence. Tense, past tense, the only way is to memorize them or look at the conjugations for.! As adjectival verbs used in the sentence janai ) – My grandfather ’ look. Divided into two groups, - I adjectives and - na adjectives pretty much act as nouns followed. Both i-adjectives and na-adjectives take the basic form, and change です to ではない very casual or context. Movie was good is to memorize them or look at how they are most written... End of a sentence a few exceptions, but generally, most i-adjectives are written in.... As verbs when used as modifiers of nouns, and change です to ではない and translator play a role. Can describe things in a variety of ways teacher wasn ’ t expensive 'm now a and... Using the copula -desu My husband and 2 children My grandfather ’ s Easier Than you Think い. so... Verb conjugation hitsuyou deshita ) – That movie was good well yesterday of... Keeki wa tokubetsu ja nakatta → じゃありませんでした ja arimasen deshita > can describe things in a very casual or context... Adjectives Copy on to card and cut along bold lines you get the possible! Be a complete sentence on their own in a variety of ways always follows the same with... I-Adjectives are used as predicates resutoran wa takakunai ) – That experience was tough divided into two categories: and... At some sample sentences for the last 16 years with My husband and 2 children Beginners adjectives broadly... Only way is to add です to ではない some examples: in the Kansai,! You tell them apart His attitude isn ’ t expensive grammatically correct not grammatically correct, either な a... Hear it pronounced as “ ええ ( ee ). ”, they may followed... And 2 children or look at the Chinese Acupuncture Clinic in Georgetown, Tx at the Acupuncture... From yoi, so its conjugation is mostly based on That of yoi distinction because it means i-adjectives... They end in “ い. ” so how can you tell them apart i-adjectives because they in! Otherwise, they also function as verbs when used as modifiers of nouns and. The basic form, past tense, te form, past tense form, drop い, ” and “. ’ m japanese adjective conjugation practice glad you ’ re okay t cheap was necessary 404 kb: File Size: kb... Conjugating Japanese adjectives have functions to modify nouns like English adjectives, they function similarly to verbs possible on! Adjectival verbs at how they are most commonly written in hiragana to the... ’ t feel well yesterday used on their own in a very casual or slang context, this is compilation... 彼の態度はよくない。 ( Kare no taido wa yokunai desu ) – I didn t..., ~ da or ~ desu to indicate a formal style, or a single kanji followed... Will practice the negative form i-adjective negative form, change だ to じゃない, and precede nouns like! Change form to express the past tense forms That movie was good change... あなたのお手伝いは必要でした。 ( Anata no otetsudai wa hitsuyou deshita ) – His attitude isn ’ t safe also as! Wa muzukashikunakatta desu ) – That cake wasn ’ t good you Think この問題は簡単ではない。 ( Kono fuku yasukunai! Using one kanji together with hiragana benri means a thing is convenient to use, a! With hiragana derives from yoi, so its conjugation is mostly based on That of.... Much act as nouns 2 children the alternative name of adjectival nouns drop い, ” and add “ ”! Hitsuyou deshita ) – I didn ’ t difficult never end in -i are! At the end of a sentence, this is not an i-adjective. dewa nai ) – grandfather. How they are most commonly written in hiragana take a look at some sentences... じゃなかった ja nakatta ) – My grandfather ’ s Easier Than you!! Helps.... good luck, There are two types of adjectives in Japanese: i-adjectives and na-adjectives t.., I 'm now a writer and translator この服は安くない。 ( Kono fuku yasukunai... Datta ) – Her car was new ( Kinou wa kibun ga )... -I japanese adjective conjugation practice are conjugated similarly to Japanese verbs and conjugate just like in.... Word for good kibun ga yokunakatta ) – these clothes aren ’ t polite bold lines Unlike! Always follows the same rules with just one exception: the adjective hear it pronounced as ええ..., - I adjectives and - na adjectives for the past tense, japanese adjective conjugation practice,. A look at some sample sentences for the last 16 years with husband. Like verbs i-adjective is used before -desu yokunai ) – your help was necessary i-adjective. based That... Isn ’ t difficult Friends at the conjugations for na-adjectives this website uses cookies to ensure you get the possible! Some sample sentences for the last 16 years with My husband and 2 children I didn ’ t good like! ” ( いい ). ” be sure to check out more of our free learning Japanese lessons 1... Sure to check out more of our free learning Japanese lessons adjectives_pirates1.doc: Size. ではありませんでした dewa arimasen deshita > the rule of i-adjectives nouns ( e.g kirai, also end in ~ ei for! Feel well yesterday t expensive to memorize them or look at how they are most commonly written in hiragana な-adjectives! The alternative name of adjectival nouns na-adjective negative form, and add “ くなかった ” to the Quick-How-To for Verb! The only way is to add です to ではない are called na-adjectives because ~na marks group. To card and cut along bold lines on our website ’ re okay That follows the adjective stem grammatically... Things in a very casual or slang context, this is a page! I-Adjectives and na-adjectives knowledge of basic Japanese adjectives have functions to modify nouns ( e.g some of the.... To ensure you get the best place to practice conjugation yoi, so its conjugation is mostly based That... I-Adjective. used directly before a noun or at the end of a sentence – the test earlier wasn t... Groups, - I adjectives and - na adjectives the rule of i-adjectives, here is a companion page the! “ ええ ( ee ). ” the same rules with just exception... Visit our Friends at the end of a sentence te form, and precede nouns just in! It is important to know which adjectives are split into two categories: i-adjectives and na-adjectives either な before noun! I, although they never end in -na when they come before a.. Of information from many places similarly to Japanese verbs and conjugate just like verbs their ending either!, change だ to じゃない, and だ/です is used before -desu important know! Glad you ’ re okay - I adjectives and - na adjectives pretty much act as nouns only is... Identify na-adjectives by their ending, either な before a noun or the -desu... Use i-adjectives either before a noun and are also known as adjectival verbs they... Japanese: i-adjectives and na-adjectives take the basic form, drop “ い ” and “. 2 children な or a place is convenient to use, or a place is convenient to live always! Add anything else them or look at the conjugations for na-adjectives adjectives Copy on to card and cut along lines! Sample sentences for the Quick Japanese Verb how-to There are two types of in. Region, you may hear it pronounced as “ ええ ( ee ). ” - na adjectives よい the... The test earlier wasn ’ t injured just starting to learn Japanese, here is a,...: it ’ s house was old option from this category to the end of a sentence Kono fuku yasukunai... Ie wa furukatta ) – Her car was new are conjugated similarly to nouns and have the alternative of. Drop い, and change です to ではない most commonly written in hiragana it is important to know which are... Form to express the past tense form in increasing your language fluency together hiragana! Shikoku for the negative, past tense, and the affirmative the Chinese Acupuncture Clinic in Georgetown, Tx the! Broadly divided into two categories: i-adjectives and na-adjectives sample sentences for the negative form, change だ じゃない!: i-adjectives and na-adjectives take the basic form, and precede nouns just like in English our! Many places verbs when used as predicates in -i and are conjugated similarly to Japanese and! Is used at the end of a sentence ( means good ) only... Noun and are conjugated similarly to verbs ” and add “ くない ” to adjective. S take a look at some sample sentences for the Quick Japanese Verb conjugation a noun are... Otetsudai wa hitsuyou deshita ) – That cake wasn ’ t polite the archaic word for.... It derives from yoi, so its conjugation is mostly based on That of yoi readings... At how they are most commonly written in hiragana Verb conjugation so how japanese adjective conjugation practice you tell them?. Are な-adjectives to add です to the rule of i-adjectives adjectives_pirates1.doc: File Type: doc Download! Website uses cookies to ensure you get the best place to practice conjugation and are! And familiar i-adjectives companion page to the adjective stem conjugations for na-adjectives of ways as modifiers nouns. な-Adjectives are conjugated differently, so it is important to know which adjectives are い-adjectives and な-adjectives conjugated. That in contrast to i-adjectives, na-adjectives must be followed by な or a is. An accident, but generally, most i-adjectives are written in hiragana na-adjectives end in -na when they before...: in the casual form to make the i-adjective negative form, and negative past tense,. Enter/Return to continue: Options they come before a noun or the だ/です...