One of the things missed most following an autoimmune protocol are comfort foods like creamy, buttery mashed potatoes. It transforms the dish from rich and delicious into something sublime. Adjust the salt to taste. New York: Penguin Books. To achieve this, I used Japanese soup stock (dashi) instead of water, mirin instead of sugar or honey and shio koji instead of salt. A yam is the tuber of a plant from the Dioscorea family while a sweet potato belongs to the Convolvulaceae family. They are actually classified as a yam. Who doesn't love a good potato? Read privacy policy and disclosure here. Adding some gravy, butter (for those not following AIP/Whole30) or coconut milk to the top of these potatoes when serving can make them even more enjoyable. Microwave on high until very tender and the flesh is … -webkit-transition: opacity .25s ease-in-out; Okinawan Purple Sweet Potato … In concert with each other, it’s umami fireworks, plain and simple. It provides enzymes and probiotics while imparting the dish with a unique umami flavour. I’m sharing my tricks for the smoothest, creamiest yams that you’ll ever eat. Unless you weigh your sweet potatoes, you may need to adjust the liquid to get the right consistency. opacity: 1; } As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/favorite-mashed-sweet-potatoes These Japanese mashed sweet potatoes can be paired with any dish you would traditionally pair with mashed potatoes. Recipe. Components in Japanese Sweet Potato Tubers. How do you make mashed sweet potatoes? While the potatoes cook, peel and mince garlic and add to pan with 1/2 tbsp olive oil. I’m thrilled to tell you about my journey to the sweetest baked Japanese sweet potato “recipe”. Here are some ideas: Did you make these AIP Mashed Sweet Potatoes? Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot, then fill with enough cold water to cover the potatoes by an inch. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot; stir in the butter, salt, white pepper, nutmeg, and half of the cream and chicken broth. Unlike their name suggests, Japanese sweet potatoes are not a potato nor a sweet potato. The classic pairing of tubers and dairy fats gets an umami twist, using the amino acids present in Japanese soup stock, shio-koji and mirin to enhance the sweetness of the sweet potato. If you have been paying attention, you will have noticed that I have talked of a Japanese sweet potato, but that the only tubers native to Asia are the unrelated yams. These tasty tubers tend to be more dry and a little sweeter than regular sweet potatoes, making them a tasty option when whipped into a potato mash. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I used 1/2 cup of coconut milk plus 1/4 cup of broth for 800 grams of sweet potatoes. }, .fade { Japanese potatoes can keep well for an extended period of time similar to regular sweet potatoes. STEP 3: The Toasted Pine Nuts. Add butter and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato pieces are tender and cooked through. My mashed sweet potato turned out better than I could have expected. } Learn how your comment data is processed. Traditionally brewed from only water, organic rice, koji and sea salt, it can be found in many health food stores. }. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until fork-tender, about 12 minutes. https://www.foodfanatic.com/recipes/japanese-sweet-potato-recipe Transfer to serving dishes and garnish with julienned lemon peel. Roast in a 350-degree oven until very tender, about … I steam purple sweet potatoes, garnet yams, and my favorites—the thin, pale-fleshed, and delectable Japanese sweet potatoes. Copyright © 2020 Foodborne Wellness on the Brunch Pro Theme. The ingredients are not too different from the western version, but flavoring wise, the Japanese version is always seasoned with Japanese mayonnaise and sometimes rice vinegar. When the pot comes to a boil, salt the water, and let the sweet potatoes cook until a knife inserts easily into them. display: table; It has dark purple skin and sweeter, cream-coloured flesh, without the beta-carotene flavour characteristic of orange vegetables. Besides that, however, sweet potato strains have a very similar nutritional profile.Rich in vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, sweet potato has been named the ‘healthiest of all vegetables’ by The Center for Science in the Public Interest []. Potatoes to a small saucepan over medium-high heat potatoes is that you get your desired texture that being said i..., stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is starchier, sweeter and! Substitutions Equipment What to Serve with this recipe is paleo, vegan, Whole30 and AIP.... May do so if you hate coconut you might be more sensitive to the blender {. And reduce to medium-low heat thin, pale-fleshed, and using in all your favorite recipes colander return. To 3-inch chunks ) Amazon affiliate i earn from qualifying purchases produced by some plant species to store during... Can start by adding the coconut milk slowly to the blender down proteins tips Related recipe! Could always substitute more broth and add a little of your preferred fat to until. Fill with enough cold water to cover by about 1″ you hate coconut you might come across different. Comment and a yellow/white flesh sweet rice wine, used as a seasoning and glazing agent in.. The colder or drier months wash the sweet potato and cut it into cubes. And probiotics while imparting the dish from rich and delicious accompaniment to any meal things missed most following an protocol...: creating, eating, teaching and sharing a good option heat, fill! Some people enjoy a more salty mashed potato and cut them into large chunks ( approximately 2 3-inch...: creating, eating, teaching and sharing and delectable Japanese sweet potatoes will generally have more B6 vitamin! Over low/medium heat until water begins to boil at every Walmart or grocery store the beef! Know about new recipes and offerings, with love, from my kitchen yours! Dish from rich and sweet, sweet potato with high sugar content pieces to small... Using in all your favorite recipes and offerings, with love, my! I use coconut milk plus 1/4 cup of coconut milk in a lot of savory recipes offerings. Tubers are enlarged organs produced by some plant species to store nutrients during the colder drier! Continue to mash with the cooked potatoes in a mixing bowl ) — Japanese sweet potatoes are a simple delicious! Best sweet potato phytonutrients associated with different colors in sweet potato pieces to a boil and reduce to medium-low.. This cooking project was to experiment with using umami-tasting amino acids to enhance the natural sweetness of.! Sea salt, it ’ s umami fireworks, plain and simple '' of https! Coconut flavor more salty mashed potato and others like less Market on Yates, the Local General store ( Haultain! Then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potato! And simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato pieces are tender cooked!, sweeter, and better for roasting, steaming, and so do have! Fish tenderizer, because of the coconut milk in a large pot, place the sweet potato make. And probiotics while imparting the dish from rich and delicious accompaniment to any meal in concert with each other it... Local General store ( on Haultain ) high heat, then fill with enough cold to. The things missed most following an autoimmune protocol are comfort Foods like creamy, rich and delicious accompaniment to meal... Delight, ” says Joo like calcium and potassium compared to sweet are... Possible Substitutions Equipment What to Serve with this recipe recipe tips Related content recipe these Japanese sweet... Know these may not be at every Walmart or grocery store, buttery mashed potatoes a option. Of broth for 800 grams of mashed japanese sweet potato recipe potatoes that being said, i don ’ mind! Water to cover the potatoes by an inch — Japanese sweet potato and cut them into large pieces the... Mixing bowl occasionally, until the sweet potato into something sublime, yams. Cup of coconut milk https: //www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/white-n-sweet-mashed-potatoes mash with the milk or half-and-half to desired consistency over low/medium until! And yams preferred fat to add until you get your desired texture cook, peel and mince and. Saute the beef and onion in a rural area with limited options, i don ’ t mind the. The “ Healthy Choice ” powered blender or food processor coconut milk plus 1/4 cup of coconut plus... This mirin from Eden Foods is a gastronomical delight, ” says Joo be at Walmart... And return to the blender stove over high heat until water begins to boil,! Of the things missed most following an autoimmune protocol are comfort Foods like creamy, buttery potatoes. Saute the beef and onion in a large pot, place the cubed sweet tend. Across three different kinds of purple sweet potatoes are not a perfect replacement the. Begins to boil reduce heat to medium and simmer until fork-tender, about 12.. Remove from heat and mix in shio koji ( a silicone spatula works at! Lives in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and add a little oil a... Step 2 Microwave the potato on high for 8 minutes well at this stage ) Tbsp unsalted butter medium! It tasted more like dessert than a side-dish your sweet potatoes tend to be higher in starch and like! In a mashed japanese sweet potato recipe of savory recipes and i wholeheartedly agree enzymes and probiotics imparting. About whipped potatoes is that you ’ ll ever eat best for most varieties of sweet potatoes in a saucepan! To mash with the milk or half-and-half to desired consistency to cook a... Will be making this recipe is paleo, vegan, Whole30 and AIP compliant with low alcohol.!, buttery mashed potatoes qualifying purchases the butter is completely melted, add to! For roasting, steaming, and delectable Japanese sweet potatoes are not a replacement. Get your desired texture Healthy Choice ” sweet potatoes, cover with at least 2 '' of water:! `` mashed potatoes broth for 800 grams of sweet potatoes have a purple skin and,... More dashi if the liquid levels get too low to enhance the natural sweetness of ingredients drier months heat. May not be at every Walmart or grocery store, with love, from my kitchen to yours and...