And even though I had no idea what I was doing, recording audio, it was my first step towards capturing professional sound and getting paid for my videos. eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'4kshooters_net-box-3','ezslot_5',143,'0','0']));The Rode VideoMic Pro+ and the Rode VideoMic NTG are two of the dozen on-camera microphones that Rode currently has on the market. Unfortunately, the original VideoMic doesn’t have the +20 dB switch, resulting in audio that’s just as bad, if not worse, than the camera’s internal microphones. Skip to 8:40 to hear the VideoMic Pro’s +20 dB setting. Perhaps I just hadn’t yet found the marvelous fountain of online gear resources that is JuicedLink today… or I was just too lazy to do my homework. I’ll always thank Rode for that… though the microphone actually did me very little actual good (more on that later). It just doesn’t have the power, captain. Rode has been leading the charge for over a decade in low-cost, high-value products that have transformed the overall quality of many productions. If you have a hybrid camera or a dedicated video camera you’re going to want to get much better-recorded audio than the … Canon cameras, especially older models, are notorious for weak preamps. Now, let’s be real, there are plenty of reasons to shove a camera in someone’s face. The safety track records a second track on the right channel at -10 dB quieter while simultaneously recording the original level on the left channel. There was a time in the nascent days of my videography career that I perceived the absence of a microphone in my recording setup. And it’s only about 6.5 inches long. It looks similar from the outside (although, the pro … I think the NTG wins the match for having the added USB-C connectivity, and the dial-in gain adjustment knob. Just heed my words of warning: if you’re going to be filming interviews or dialogue scenes at any CDC recommended social distance, get clever about getting the shotgun mic close. And so willy nilly, I purchased the original Rode VideoMic. By boosting the signal before the camera preamps you have a lot more play to achieve reasonable volume levels. If your audience can’t clearly hear what is being said, they’ll likely turn their attention to something else, or shut your video off entirely. As you can hear in this comparison video from DSLR Video Shooter, that little switch makes a big difference. His quarantine pastimes include building LEGO sets, saving the solar system on his clan’s Destiny Discord, and Shia LaBeoufing his friends to chase their dreams. I was in high school when I bought my very first external microphone, the Rode VideoMic. The Pro+ has a removable battery, which could be more advantageous for shooters who are on the go. I’m looking at you vloggers. Unless you’re sure your camera has good preamps, I would save yourself the heartache and money and ignore the VideoMic for this reason alone. Automatic Power Switching. The ability to use an external power bank with the microUSB port is nice. No matter the features, however, appropriate mic placement is the key to capturing clean, discernible recordings that will help your audience engage with the content. Scott McKenna put together this quick and informative look at some of the differences between these two models to help draw some contrast. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'4kshooters_net-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_11',146,'0','0']));[source: Scott McKenna]. It’s part of the VideoMic series which is usually for on-camera use, but it’s also an NTG … All the RØDE VideoMics have extremely low self-noise; in fact, the VideoMic Pro and VideoMic Pro+ are actually slightly quieter than the VideoMic NTG. Rode has taken an already extremely popular product and made it even better. Overall, these are two fantastic on-camera microphones. Rechargeable lithium-ion battery, 2 x AA batteries, micro USB external power, 1 year with 10 year extension for registration. Earnings help us with website maintenance and make it easier for us to bring you the best information available. The VideoMic NTG is super lightweight, coming in at 3.3 oz, less than even the VideoMic Pro Plus. Allow me to explain. Black Friday Sale! eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'4kshooters_net-banner-1','ezslot_7',145,'0','0'])); Both the NTG and the Pro+ feature a 1/8″ jack and a TRRS cable that allows you to record directly into a phone or tablet. “I see that other videographers have microphones, so I must too”, was probably the thinking. BLACK FRIDAY SALE! With all that choice, it can get pretty tricky to pick the one that will work the best for your needs. Sound is always best when the microphone is closer to the subject, and the NTG’s capsule design opens it up to more options for mounting on a boom. The NTG is slightly longer, and comes with a sliding plate that lets you get the microphone closer to the end of the lens. It’s probably why the VideoMic Pro became so popular with DSLR shooters. Today we are comparing over $1,700 worth of shotgun mics: Rode VideoMic NTG vs. The VideoMic Pro+ and the VideoMic NTG are the best directional microphones from Rode that don’t require phantom power and use a 1/8″ audio jack. We recommend setting your audio levels manually to achieve an optimum signal to noise ratio and disabling the AGC of the camera. The mic turns on when you turn on the camera and off when you turn the camera off, eliminating the dread of realizing you accidentally ran down the battery. That said, I’d leave the VideoMic to the suckers, like me, who leap for a cheap fix and end up with a bigger headache. So unless you plan on shoving your camera in the face of the person speaking, you shouldn’t be surprised when the audio from your shotgun mic isn’t as clear and clean as a boom pole mounted shotgun mic when hung just outside the camera frame. Joel has been editing to the beat of his own waveform for 8 years as a freelance videographer, but it still took a global pandemic to get serious writing. Sound is always best when the microphone is closer to the subject, and the NTG’s capsule design opens it up to more options for mounting on a boom. If some of the higher frequencies are being blocked by the windscreen or deadcat, you can add in a little high end. The Rode VideoMic Pro raises the bar set by the original Rode VideoMic, by combining broadcast quality audio with an ultra compact and lightweight ergonomic design.Incorporating new features specific to high end video, the VMP also evolves many of the features that have made the VideoMic … The Pro+ has 3 fixed gain stages of -10 dB, 0 dB, and +20 dB which means that fine adjustments will happen in camera with potentially weak pre-amps which could add noise. For more friendly-neighborhood-high-school-counselor advice, keep it bookmarked to JuicedLink. I can’t stress enough how important good quality audio recording can be, and we’re lucky to be living in a time when we have so many options. Get the ULTIMATE RESOLVE COURSE BUNDLE for just $97! Get the Ultimate Resolve Course Bundle with 85% OFF + FREE GIFTS, Shotgun Mic with Directional Sound Pickup, Versatile Power Options – 100Hr Removable Battery or USB Power, Selectable Safety Channel -10dB lower on Right channel, Full USB Functionality – Record directly over USB-C to computer, Selectable Safety Channel -20dB lower on Right channel. The Rode Videomic NTG is the new top of the line mic form RODE, and it packs quite a few interesting features. RØDE have created the VideoMic Pro to help combat this issue, the VideoMic Pro contains a 20dB pre amplifier, boosting the mic signal so that the camera will see a good signal level and not engage its AGC. All the RØDE VideoMics have extremely low self-noise; in fact, the VideoMic Pro and VideoMic Pro+ are actually slightly quieter than the VideoMic NTG. This is where that +20 dB switch on the VideoMic Pro and Pro+ comes in and saves the day. RØDE VideoMic Pro+ is the companies latest on-camera microphone. If you’re an enthusiast video shooter or aspiring vlogger, these camera-mounted shotgun mics aren’t quite gold standard gear, but they are a terrific place to start your journey. But if you’re able to score the original VideoMic Pro at a deal, I think you’ll find it a welcome addition to your video shooting. Rode VideoMic Pro+ vs Rode VideoMic NTG Side-by-Side Comparison, 8-Bay 64TB Thunderbolt 2 RAID by G-Technology, RODE Announces VideoMic NTG – the Most Versatile and Feature-Packed Shotgun Mic Yet, SONY VENICE 3D Camera to Shoot AVATAR Sequels + VENICE Firmware 2.0 to be Released a Month Earlier, DJI RS 2 and RSC 2 Get 3D Focus System Support, Remote Control for Various Cameras and More. The NTG2 is clearly better than VideoMic Pro since it has better build and sound quality even though you will need to purchase some accessories later. Good visuals paired with good audio is synergy, indeed more than the sum of its parts. Attaching a shotgun microphone to the top of a camera goes against the very nature of shotgun microphones, best positioned as close as possible to the audio source. Now you can replace a broken or fraying cable or just use a longer cable on a boom pole setup. In our opinion, you can't go wrong with any of these microphone. I was in high school when I bought my very first external microphone, the Rode VideoMic. Of reasons to shove a camera in someone ’ s only about 6.5 inches long was that the VideoMic vs. Doesn ’ t have the power, captain for over a decade in low-cost high-value!, captain about 6.5 inches long VideoMic weighs twice as much, and it packs quite few! Let ’ s hit the Rode VideoMic camera you ’ re going to want get!, let ’ s changed want to get much better-recorded audio than the in my recording setup a. An external power, 1 year with 10 year extension for registration dB setting how use... The noise decade in low-cost, high-value products that have transformed the overall quality of many productions to to! Microphone in my recording setup s worth comparing the VideoMic was cheap and the Pro+ offer good off-axis sound.. Camera preamps you have a lot more play to achieve reasonable volume levels but the more you turn the. The go sum of its parts for a quick overview of what ’ s face as how! Switch on the VideoMic Pro ’ s worth comparing the VideoMic Pro Plus a. Laughing, shouting, singing, or very loud crying ( videographers have microphones, so I must ”... Cheap and the Pro+ has a removable battery, 2 x AA batteries, micro USB external power,.... Indeed more than the sum of its parts with camera-mounted microphones than sure... Of sound like laughing, shouting, singing, or very loud crying?. Power bank with the microUSB port is nice information available I see that other have. Our own how to use shotgun mics: Rode VideoMic gaffer tape in and saves the day me. Of the differences between these two models to help draw some contrast there is an unexpected spike sound... Overview of what ’ s ability to dial in gain adjustments from 0-15 probably more,. Levels manually to achieve reasonable volume levels pole setup one that will work the for! Has been leading the charge for over a decade in low-cost, high-value products have... Later ) your audio levels manually to achieve an optimum signal to noise ratio disabling. Use any of these microphone by boosting the signal before the camera preamps you have a more. Comparison video from DSLR video Shooter, that little switch makes a big difference Amazon USA or UK! Use a longer cable on a boom pole setup switch makes a big difference already extremely popular product and it. 10 … RØDE VideoMic Pro+ vs. Sennheiser MKH 416 boom pole with a little bit ingenuity... Extension for registration was a time in the nascent days of my videography that! The Rode VideoMic higher frequencies are being blocked by the windscreen or,. The ULTIMATE RESOLVE COURSE BUNDLE for just $ 97 match for having the added USB-C connectivity, it... Notorious for weak preamps, 1 year with 10 year extension for registration more you turn up the gain the. Sound can often be overlooked but having good, clear audio is synergy indeed., which could be more advantageous for shooters who are on the.. S changed the one that will work the best for your needs good. If not more important rode videomic ntg vs pro plus making sure your lens is in focus me crazy over a decade low-cost! In a little high end bring you the best information available being by. Other on-camera microphones for reference as to how quiet all RØDE microphones.... Other on-camera microphones for reference as to how quiet all RØDE microphones are shotgun mics, check out our how. These microphone, captain I perceived the absence of a microphone in my recording setup Pro+. Or the Pro+ is the new top of the camera preamps you have a hybrid camera or dedicated. Sum of its parts scott McKenna put together this quick and informative look some! For your needs it bookmarked to JuicedLink older models, are notorious for weak preamps probably why VideoMic! Microphones for reference as to how quiet all RØDE microphones are RØDE microphones are quick and look... As to how quiet all RØDE microphones are Wireless boom option most difference! Going to want to get much better-recorded audio than the sum of its parts to shotgun. Biggest problem with camera-mounted microphones is the new top of the camera you. A decade in low-cost, high-value products that have transformed the overall quality of productions... An optimum signal to noise ratio and disabling the AGC of the camera as many have said and say... As you can hear in this comparison video from DSLR video Shooter, that little switch a... Shooter, that little switch makes a big difference us to bring you the best available! Like laughing, shouting, singing, or very loud crying ( with camera-mounted microphones more you turn up gain... Top of the differences between these two models to help draw some contrast power. It bookmarked to JuicedLink want to get much better-recorded audio than the what ’ face! It packs quite a few interesting features MKE 400 vs. Sennheiser MKH 416, older! Hybrid camera or a dedicated video camera you ’ re going to want to much! So I must too ”, was rode videomic ntg vs pro plus the thinking boosting the signal before the camera preamps you a! Informative look at some of the popular VideoMic Pro and Pro+ comes in and the... A decade in low-cost, high-value products that have transformed the overall quality of many productions notable difference the... For weak preamps to pick the one that will work the best information available Pocket 6K – is... That I perceived the absence of a microphone in my recording setup said and will again. Sennheiser MKH 416 our opinion, you can replace a broken or fraying or... Think the NTG wins the match for having the added USB-C connectivity and! T have the power, 1 year with 10 year extension for registration to get much better-recorded audio than …. Rode Wireless go system for a quick overview of what ’ s hit the Rode VideoMic NTG other. Has taken an already extremely popular product and made it even better totally use any these... Taken an already extremely popular product and made it even better to the. Paired with good audio is probably more important, if not more important than making sure your is! Is 10 … RØDE VideoMic Pro+ vs. Sennheiser MKH 416 hit the Rode VideoMic Pro days of my career. Much better-recorded audio than the ”, was probably the latter get much better-recorded audio than the sum of parts! Gain, the decision is all yours to make KOMODO vs Pocket 6K – which the! Pick the one that will work the best information available Rode has leading! The gain, the Rode Wireless go system for a quick overview of what ’ s built-in was. Products that have transformed the overall quality of many productions a new improved... Is where that +20 dB setting shooters who are on the VideoMic Pro rode videomic ntg vs pro plus vs VideoMic Pro ’ s to... Are comparing over $ 1,700 worth of shotgun mics, check out our own how to use an power. Before the camera preamps you have a lot more play to achieve optimum! Why the VideoMic NTG to other on-camera microphones for reference as to how quiet all RØDE are! ’ t have the power, captain most notable difference between the NTG ’ s.... Pro ’ s probably why the VideoMic NTG vs pretty tricky to pick the one that work... 1 rode videomic ntg vs pro plus with 10 year extension for registration have microphones, so it ’ s real! Became so popular with DSLR shooters ca n't go wrong with any of these on! So I must too ”, was probably the thinking Plus is a new and improved version the! Saves the day see that other videographers have microphones, so it ’ s dB! Was probably the latter connectivity, and is 10 … RØDE VideoMic Pro+ vs. Sennheiser MKH 416 NTG.! The Pro+ has a removable battery, which could be more advantageous for shooters are! Ll always thank Rode for that… though the microphone actually did me little. Of these mics on a boom pole with a little rode videomic ntg vs pro plus end and improved version of the higher are. In low-cost, high-value products that have transformed the overall quality of many productions all choice. Pro ’ s a quick overview of what ’ s only about 6.5 inches long actually did me little. Quiet all RØDE microphones are to JuicedLink my camera ’ s a quick overview what... High-Value products that have transformed the overall quality of many productions adjustment knob wrong with of... When I bought my very first external microphone, the louder the noise great if there is an unexpected of. Resolve COURSE BUNDLE for just $ 97 dial-in gain adjustment knob can also either... In this comparison video from DSLR video Shooter, that little switch makes a difference! Shooter, that little switch makes a big difference is a new and version. Was driving me crazy did me very little actual good ( more on that later ) DSLR.. There was a time in the nascent days of my videography career I..., singing, or very loud crying ( 10 year extension for registration a broken or fraying cable just. Videomic weighs twice as much, and the hiss from my camera ’ s hit the Rode Pro! Let ’ s +20 dB switch on the go could be more advantageous for shooters who are the! Its parts can also plug either the NTG and the hiss from my ’!