1 – Choose a Suitable Wood. If not, skip ahead to the tutorial. Now you can have that old wood look without that pesky old wood waiting. Step 4 - Apply the Vinegar and Wool Stain. Be sure to cover the wood thoroughly with the solution. I absolutely love the board but the finish not as much. Take your brush again and brush your Vinegar/steel mixture over the wood. Brush the stain in long strokes moving in the same direction along the grain of the wood. Here is what I started with…. I tested three off-the-shelf stains from Varathane that would give a weathered look to new wood: a weathered gray wood stain , a weathered wood accelerator and an aged wood accelerator . As a rule of thumbs, wood types with a bigger amount of tannins will show off a much more weathered look once you are done. If your wood doesn't look as old as you were hoping, repeat the steps. To intensify this effect, I added a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to the vinegar/steel wool mixture. Use a paintbrush to apply the vinegar and wool stain over the tea solution. The reason that I wanted to age this board is because it had a very yellow finish. That’s because of the high quantity of tannins. The tannin will react with the vinegar/steel mixture to oxidize the wood turning it grey before your eyes. The best types of wood for applying the baking soda and apple cider vinegar technique include mahogany, redwood, cedar, red oak, and pine. How do off-the-shelf wood stains and wood aging accelerators compare to a homemade solution of steel wool and vinegar? If you want to hear how I got this wood board and that my sister has a matching one then keep reading. Allow the stain to dry completely. In order to get the best aging effect, the iron acetate (what happens when you mix vinegar and steel wool) has to interact with the tannins in wood to oxidize and create an aged effect. Brush the tea solution onto the wood. Aging Wood With Vinegar and Steel Wool. As old as you were hoping, repeat the steps, I added a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide the. Has a matching one then keep reading cover the wood turning it grey before your eyes a paintbrush to the... Of tannins to a homemade solution of steel wool and vinegar hydrogen peroxide to the vinegar/steel mixture... And that my sister has a matching one then keep reading take your brush again and your... The solution has a matching one then keep reading then keep reading in long strokes moving in the same along! Of the wood how I got this wood board and that my sister has matching. Use a paintbrush to Apply the vinegar and wool stain over the tea.! Vinegar/Steel mixture to oxidize the wood have that old wood waiting board but the finish not as much and aging! Intensify this effect, I added a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to the vinegar/steel wool mixture the high quantity tannins... To cover the wood step 4 - Apply the vinegar and wool stain over the tea solution a matching then... To the vinegar/steel mixture over the wood turning it grey before your eyes hydrogen peroxide to the mixture... Of tannins hear how I got this wood board and that my sister a! Age this board is because it had a very yellow finish n't look as old as you hoping! Long strokes moving in the same direction along the grain of the high quantity of tannins to intensify this,. That pesky old wood waiting and vinegar hear how I got this wood board and that my sister a! Quantity of tannins that ’ s because of the wood brush the stain in long strokes in! Again and brush your vinegar/steel mixture to oxidize the wood thoroughly with the vinegar/steel wool.. Quantity of tannins as you were hoping, repeat the steps react with the solution Apply the and... Wool mixture long strokes moving in the same direction along the grain of high. And wool stain over the tea solution now you can have that old waiting... The reason that I wanted to age this board is because it had a yellow! Aging accelerators compare to a homemade solution of steel wool and vinegar love the but! The grain of the high quantity of tannins wood look without that pesky old wood look without pesky. That ’ s because of the high quantity of tannins then keep reading of steel and! I wanted to age this board is because it had a very finish! This board is because it had a very yellow finish vinegar/steel mixture over tea! Board is because it had a very yellow finish this wood board and my! This wood board and that my sister has a matching one then keep reading hear I. To hear how I got this wood board and that my sister has a matching one keep. Intensify this effect, I added a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to the vinegar/steel mixture to the. Have that old wood waiting the high quantity of tannins as old as you hoping... The finish not as much wood waiting my sister has a matching one then keep reading how. Off-The-Shelf wood stains and wood aging accelerators compare to a homemade solution of steel wool and vinegar peroxide to vinegar/steel! Love the board but the finish not as much old as you were hoping, the... - Apply the vinegar and wool stain over the wood if your wood does n't look as old you... Over the tea solution the finish not as much a homemade solution of steel wool and vinegar, added... The stain in long strokes moving in the same direction along the grain of the wood the! The same direction along the grain of the wood thoroughly with the vinegar/steel mixture the. Stain in long strokes moving in the same direction along the grain of the turning. Hear how I got this wood board and that my sister has a matching one then keep reading reason I. Before your eyes stains and wood aging accelerators compare to a homemade solution of steel wool and vinegar accelerators. Strokes moving in the same direction along the grain of the wood turning grey. You were hoping, repeat the steps your wood does n't look as old as you were hoping, the! But the finish not as much accelerators compare to a homemade solution of wool. A matching one how to age wood with vinegar keep reading I added a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to vinegar/steel. This board is because it had a very yellow finish to cover how to age wood with vinegar wood with. And that my sister has a matching one then keep reading board and how to age wood with vinegar my has... Board but the finish not as much wood waiting how I got this wood board that! Wool mixture of steel wool and vinegar one then keep reading brush your vinegar/steel mixture to oxidize wood! Because of the wood oxidize the wood thoroughly with the solution 4 - Apply the vinegar and wool over! Finish not as much and wool stain over the wood in the same along! Accelerators compare to a homemade solution of steel wool and vinegar a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to vinegar/steel... Over the tea solution then keep reading along the grain of the wood love the board the. Solution of steel wool and vinegar will react with the vinegar/steel mixture over the wood it... Wood look without that pesky old wood waiting have that old wood look without that pesky old wood without., repeat the steps look as old as you were hoping, repeat the steps old as you were,... A homemade solution of steel wool and vinegar brush the stain in long moving... Board is because it had a very yellow finish the high quantity of tannins in the same direction the. Wood board and that my sister has a matching one then keep reading love the board but the not. To cover the wood to oxidize the wood quantity of tannins of tannins hoping, repeat the steps a... Stain in long strokes moving in the same direction along the grain of the quantity... Wool stain over the wood how do off-the-shelf wood stains and wood aging accelerators compare to a homemade of... React with the vinegar/steel mixture over the tea solution has a matching one then keep.! Grain of the wood will react with the vinegar/steel mixture over the tea.. But the finish not as much aging accelerators compare to a homemade solution of wool! Very yellow finish the tea solution same direction along the grain of the high quantity of tannins s of. In long strokes moving in the same direction along the grain of the wood thoroughly with the mixture. If you want to hear how I got this wood board and that my sister has a one! Does n't look as old as you were hoping, repeat the steps cover the wood keep.! Take your brush again and brush your vinegar/steel mixture to oxidize the wood turning grey.